Life is all about the Journey, so enjoy it!

Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Big ULTRASOUND


Woot Woot, 20 weeks is complete! Yesterday my IM’s came down for the 20 week ultrasound. 



I finally got to give them the presents I have been planning!
I wanted to do something special, and feel that I’m in a position to make this a very positive experience. I really want to make sure everyone gets more than they expected and feels a bond with their new family members early on. My IM has asked me a couple of times if I have had any cravings so I put together a basket of the cravings I've had with this pregnancy. 



I also provided them a list of what's in the basket and why/ how frequently it's consumed.
Tomato Basil Soup
Hot Chocolate
Staws
Lip Balm
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Angel Hair pasta
Basil
Peppermint Oil
Face Lotion
Apples



This was the first “official” ultrasound and took about an hour and a half. Gender was confirmed, 2 girls, the tech had no problem showing us the anatomy to solidify all thoughts, which was a little odd. Babies were also given their “official” labels of “BABY A” and “BAYB B”. She also measured everything from their brain to their toes and had very good news to report… BABIES ARE GREAT! Both are currently weighing 13ounces.

 I could not see the screen for the majority of the ultra sound but had a better view anyway. I was watching my IM’s watch their babies. They were bright eyed and bushy tailed through the whole event, and stood to see the monitor the whole time! McM’s daddy kept saying “Oh My goodness” “WOW” wearing a big smile that never faded and McM’s Mommy threw out a lot of “awws” she also would regularly turn her head horizontal trying to make out what was on the screen. Together they would act out the positions the babies were in! Every time my IM saw the heart beat her mouth would lip the sound of a heart beat but no sound would come out. When the babies hands were up by their face she would move her hands up not blinking or looking away from the screen. I’m unsure if she even knew she was doing half of the stuff. It was fun watching and hearing them try to decipher what body part they were looking at.  

Both babies were pretty active “BABY A” was originally head down and close to the “exit” however mid ultrasound she completely flipped. My IPs could see her rocking and pushing off the wall (aka my bladder) and wala when the tech went back to that baby she was feet down. “BABY B” was snuggled close to my left side, rockin out. Her movements weren’t as big but she kept doing little hand jives. We were told that their sacs were large in a good way this gives them lots of room to move around… so the somersaults will continue. I can’t wait for the moment my IPs can feel them move inside of my belly!



I wanted to say thank you for to McM’s grandma for making these adorable McMuffin/49er Pot holders, I Love them!! We used them the night we got them to make strawberry cupcakes!




I hope everyone loves the bears my daughters and I made, which include a recording of the babies heart beats. In the recording you will hear Genevieve say "BABY A" and then a few seconds of that babies heart beat you will then hear Gianna say "BABY B" and a few seconds of that babies heart beat." We then put those recordings into bears... they were put together with lots of love! Here are some pictures of the making.

1. Each bear was individually chosen, we wanted them to be soft and unique.
2. My daughters filled each heart with different qualities
 3. Gen and Gia stood on the peddle to stuff each bear to the perfect softness
4. They then put the hearts and recordings in each bear.(Don't mind my daughters rock star tattoo)
5.Next step is the cleaning station.

6. Each bear was then given a unique name and birth certificates were created.






7. Last but not least, once home I sprinkled each with baby dust, aka baby powder! This is a soft yet comforting smell that I thought would add a little something special! I hope everyone enjoys!!

Here are some week 20 belly bump photos:

 Have a wonderful weekend All!!
XOXO Jen, Gen, Gia and baby McM's

9 comments:

  1. You captured the experience so perfectly!! and it's hilarious that I was unconsciously mirroring all the baby movements. I think that is good, it means we are already creating mirror neurons with each other! :) We love our Strawberry so much and were speechless when we found out you'd made them for the whole family. We can't wait for everyone to get theirs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful ideas - the cravings basket!!! and the bears!! So thoughtful. We are all very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your documentation of the interaction of JM and KM with the ultra-sound is fabulous. It makes me feel like I am watching a video of the event ... I almost feel that I am there with all of you.
    I wonder if JM thought about her own interactions with her twin sister when they were in my womb as she watched her twins interacting inside your tummy. JM was a identical twin ... so there was only one sac. I never felt as much movement as you report. I wonder if it is because of the single sac ... or whether you are just much more attune to the movement.
    Thanks again for such careful recording of this journey. You blog informs and comforts us each time we read it.
    I love the way you find multiple ways to involve your daughters directly in the surrogate mothering. Just as we grandparents are observing, experiencing, and participating in a modern miracle, so too are they. How fortunate we all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the blog gives you a sense of closeness to what's going on! And yes JM talked about her sister repeatedly through the ultrasound. She said i have to call her after this, I can't believe we were doing all of this.

      Delete
  4. Every time I read your updates I get teary-eyed with wonder. You are the most thoughtful, considerate person. Thank you so, so much for taking the time to share your world with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read, I'm glad you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. You look amazing! And the thoughtful gifts! I'm a first time surrogate and I think I will be learning a lot from you.

    ♥Spot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! YAY to choosing surrogacy. As you can see i'm loving every moment of my journey and it is a very rewarding experience. I hope your's is all you imagined!

      Delete